Getting Started Playing Bass?
Here are my top rules to help you get started playing bass:
- Buy a metronome
- Don't practice without it.
- Find a bass instructor. If you can't find one, keep
practicing until you do, and then work with an
- Practice everything slowly at first, and gradually
bring the exercises up to speed. Those bad habits will
be hard to break later.
- Learn to read standard notation. If you only learn
tab, it will become your enemy.
- Learn everything. Learn all the songs you hear and
know. You never know when you'll have to learn 20 cover
tunes in two days--it'll help if you're familiar with 19
of them beforehand.
- Keep an open mind and learn all styles. You think
you'll never need to play samba or
tumbao or have a feel for the clave?
Well, there's not much that will get your 16ths tighter
than learning a a tumbao rhythm. Like in Number
6, learn everything.